Today I was able to enjoy two entire hours of peaceful, quiet time, as the girls slept for most of our drive home from Los Angeles. Hubs wasn’t able to join us on the trip so it was just me, my chai tea latte and my soft rock radio station; I was in heaven. No noise directed at me from the backseat; no questions, no demands, no squeals of delight or frustration, no kiddo music on repeat; just Bryan Adams, Whitney Houston and lots of fun recalling the times, people and places associated with each tune.
I began thinking about all the music I have fallen in love with over the years; all the pop stars and divas, teen idols and billboard bands. And I thought about all the family, friends, beaus and even random acquaintences who hold different pieces of my heart, pieces that are held together by the glue of music.
From my reflections came this list of my TOP 25 albums, broken out into sub-categories for the sake of my new-found love of organization.
TOP 5 CHICK ALBUMS
- Sarah Mclachlan – Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
- Madonna – Madonna (this was hard to pick my fave, I would probably have to make my own mix of her songs, but since I had to pick one I went OG)
- Janis Joplin – Greatest Hits
- Annie Lennox – Medusa
- Indigo Girls – Swamp Ophelia (Okay so this is technically a group, but they are 2 chicks so it counts, plus, I had too many in my “band” column below)
TOP 5 DUDE ALBUMS
- George Michael – Listen Without Prejudice Volume 1
- Michael Jackson – Thriller
- Justin Timberlake – Future, Sex, Love, Sound
- Ice Cube – Lethal Injection
- Billy Joel – Greatest Hits, Volume 1 & 2
TOP 5 BAND ALBUMS
- Black Crowes – Shake Your Money Maker
- The Beatles – The White Album
- Duran Duran – Rio
- Depeche Mode – Black Celebration
- Deee-Lite – Dew Drops in the Garden
TOP 5 NON-MUSICAL MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS
- Garden State
- Pulp Fiction
- Harold & Maude
- The Sting
TOP 5 MUSICAL MOVIE OR STAGE SOUNDTRACKS
- Jesus Christ Superstar
- The Sound of Music
I’m sure I forgot some of my faves but these are the first that came to my mind. The first album listed in each category is the one I would pick to bring with me on a desert island.
What are your favorite albums, can you decide? It’s a hard chore, but pretty fun to do.