where the line between my favorite tv sitcoms and my real life become blurred

One of my fave bloggers, Mrs. G of Derfwad Manor, does something on Fridays called Friday Five. She asks her readers five fun, random questions and everyone answers the questions in the comments. I’ve just started participating recently and it gave me the idea to do something similar.

So here are five questions, all pertaining to TV sitcoms, because I love me some TV sitcoms. And, Unlike Mrs. G, I’m  going to answer my own questions, because I’m vain like that.

1) What TV sitcom best represents your family?

Soap. I don’t even remember this show very well I just know there was a “combined” dysfunctional family filled with love and laughs. And I loved it!

2) What TV sitcom cast members do you want to be friends with?

Will & Grace. The actors and their characters. I love them all. And I know we would be BFFs. Debra, call me.

3) What TV sitcom series finale made you cry?

I cry when anything and everything ends so this one is hard for me, but the two that stick out are Cheers and Family Ties (especially when I heard the “Sit Ubu Sit, Good Dog *Bark*“). I also bawled at the ending of Six Feet Under even though I had only seen a handful of episodes, but it’s not really a sitcom so it doesn’t count.

4) What TV character did you want to be when you were young?

An amalgam of Blair and Tootie from Facts of Life–Bootie (which describes me pretty well actually).

5) What 80’s sitcom star floats your boat, then and/or now?

Ricky Schroder of Silver Swoons, I mean Spoons.

Now it’s your turn with the sitcom fun. Take a moment to think back to your favorite sitcoms of all time and answer these questions. If you write a blog you can post them on your site and leave a link. Otherwise, just leave them in the comments.

This post also came out of a late night convo with Stef at Ooph so I’m tagging her and four other bloggers, including Jenn at World According to Jennifer, Helena at Life in the Pitts, Rachel at Mommy Needs a Vacation and Jen at Buried With Children to continue the conversation (this is not a chain letter where bad things will happen to you if you don’t carry on; I just really want to hear your answers).

Hope everyone has a remarkable weekend. If you’re in SoCal, have fun at the beach!

I will accept your challenge. I will chew on it and see what comes out.

Oh and I LOVED Will and Grace so sad it had to go away. There is just not another show out there like it today.

This isn’t as easy as I thought it would be…

First question is the toughest. No way I can pick one show to represent my family. I am going to say we were a Freaks and Geeks/Maude/Family Ties hybrid.

2. I’d like to hang out with (not to be confused with “be friends with”) the cast of Curb Your Enthusiasm. It is fun sometimes to watch other people act out, and with this group the action would be non-stop.

3. I probably cried at all of the finales. M*A*S*H comes to mind first though.

4. Remember Square Pegs? I thought “Jennifer,” the Valley Girl, was kind of cool.

5. Not too long ago I devoted an entire blog post to the subject of my childhood TV crushes. Most of those were from the 1970s though… Hmmmm… I think Rick Springfield when he was on General Hospital and singing about “Jessie” probably tops my 1980’s list. Cannot believe he is 61!!

Love your answers Jenn! The first one was hard for me too. I picked Soap since there were so many characters, one of which was a Mary and one of which was a Bert (my maiden name Burt). : ) Oh and I LOVED Rick Springfield. Dr. Noah Drake! I worked with him on a TV show High Tide. Kind of bursted my bubble. Will have to tell stories over wine.

Ok, I thought about it and I decided that I need a whole blog post for this so please stay tuned. ;)

Oh this is too good- need a blog post for this. And I too LOVE the Will & Grace cast…and Ricky..oh bestill my heart.

PS- I would totally answer my own questions too b/c I am vain like that too.

Chelsea says:

1. Modern Family. My husband and I remind me of the gay couple. Hmm. That really doesn’t sound right.
    2. I want to be friends with everyone on Friends. Even though Ross has really greasy hair and I would totally advise Rachel to leave him.
    3. I think I cried over Sex and the City. Or maybe that was the movie.
    4. I wanted to be Kelly Kapowski on Saved by the Bell
    5. Doogie Howser (although I think that was really more of a 90’s show). Floats my boat then AND now!

• Helena says:

I LOVE your answers. I considered all of these for mine, too! Chelsea, you have fantastic taste in television.

You two (Chelsea & Helena) are closer in age to each other than to me I think, you spring chickens! Do you even know who Ricky Schroder is?

Helena says:

I was already writing my answer before I saw your tag! I will probably turn this comment into a blog post next week.

My family would be… The Munsters. (kidding) (kind of). I can’t think of a really good match.

I want to be friends with The Golden Girls.

I cried when Full House ended. It broke my heart.

When I was little, I wanted to be Kelly from Saved By The Bell (and I kind of still do)

I was in love with Mike Seaver, from Growing Pains. Kirk Cameron rocked my 6-yr-old world. I think I’ve seen every single episode.

Wow. I miss these shows.

Ramona says:

The last episode of Six Feet Under is the all time best and a total tear jearker! You can watch the ending trailer on YOUTUBE – it will make you cry! The best shot is when you see Nate in Claire’s side view mirror running after her…..get out the kleenex box…The series is so ironic – I loved every episode – dealing with life (and death) every week.

Thanks for this great blog today Mary! Made me smile!

[…] my blogger friend Mary from The Mama Mary Show  tagged me in her TV Sitcom post, I really had no choice but to accept her challenge. Because […]

[…] when someone asks me question about TV, like Mary from The Mama Mary Show, I well I, just have to answer them. If for nothing […]