how to not kill your poinsettias and a holiday plant off

I have a black thumb. I mean Black. I have killed every plant I have ever tried to keep alive. So you might wonder why I bought a pretty Poinsettia yesterday at Trader Joes. Well, because I love a challenge. As soon as got it home I called my neighbor, and occasional sitter for the girls, Ms. Elizabeth, for back-up. She runs an indoor plant service and I just knew she would be perfect for helping me in my quest.

I didn’t include ALL of her tips in this video because I’m also challenging Theresa of RockOnMommies.com to a “Plant Off” and I don’t want to give away all my secrets. I want to see if she can keep her poinsettia alive longer than I can keep mine alive. So my goal is two fold: 1) To have this poinsettia last me at least two months and 2) To have this poinsettia last longer than Theresa’s.

It’s on!

I have killed so many poinsettia plants… that mine are fake! I hope you win (LOL) both of you!! you can do it!!

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Theresa Seid and Mingle Media Web TV, Mary Burt-Godwin. Mary Burt-Godwin said: How Not To Kill Your Poinsettias: http://bit.ly/fd49RJ And, a Holiday Plant Off challenge to @rockonmommies […]

I am weirdly scared of poinsettias. Every time I see one I make a mental note they’re poison.

Not that I normally eat peoples’ plants, so it shouldn’t come up.

Yet apparently in my mind I’m somewhat like a dog, and should be kept away from such dangers.

theresa says:

I’m coming for ya!

T. says:

Go Mar! I’m rooting for you and Ms. Elizabeth ;+)

Love the clip!!!

T.

Sherri says:

You should see my poinsettia from last year. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=888261&l=67f410b805&id=1014752156
    I don’t think I’ve ever kept one alive in the history of keeping poinsettias alive! I’m going to silently take your challenge Mama Mary!

Oh, yes, please take the challenge. But don’t keep silent. Let me know how it goes. You’re in on it too. I should open it up to all the black thumbs out there!

So very nice to meet Miss Eliizabeth! She has a lovely way about her, and is so plant knowledgeable! I don’t want to jinx you, but know I’m rooting for you. (Rooting… get it! LOL!)

Michelle says:

I just bought two yesterday, do they really last as long as two months? I am pretty happy if they make it through Christmas.

Laura F says:

Thanks for the tips. I just need my poinsettias to last until I take the tree down. Then they can go in the trash with the dried out wreath and garland!!

StacyQ says:

My husband brought home a massive poinsettia from Costco. The problem is I think they’re poisonous and so I can’t put it on the floor or the dog will kill himself on it, and so it’s on the dining room table… I don’t think I can handle having his big tree thing living on my dining room table for two months. I’ll be done with it by Christmas.

StacyQ says:

Okay, I just googled it and poinsettias are NOT poisonous! That monster’s going on the floor!