so we think we can dance

Back in February I started taking dance classes again, after over almost two decades away from the dance floor, and I am completely obsessed again. Every Tuesday I wake up in a good mood, knowing that I am going to have an hour to myself inside the dance studio, with some groovin’ tunes, a group of my fly mamas and my awesome instructor, Darnay Luckie, who can be seen here in this hawt Kelly Rowland video and will soon be seen in BK’s Girls (Who Rule the World) video.

For an hour every week I am in my zone.

Here is a glimpse of our routine from last week. Theresa of RockOnMommies.com, used to be a Cardinals Cheerleader so she dances circles around me, but I hold my own. In my mind, I’m a Laker Girl. Check it:

The Fo’ Real Housewives of Carlsbad.

Now that dancing is back in my life, be prepared to see some more of it all over The Mama Mary Show.

And speaking of shows…Idol has officially, unequivocally, jumped the shark. Now that Casey Abrams is gone I have nothing invested in this season. The judges are WAY too nice and the contestants are just not cuttin’ it for me. I had to fast forward through most of last night’s performances, except Haley’s rendition of House of the Rising Sun, which was bad ass.

The best part of the night for me was seeing the commercials for So You Think You Can Dance. Because? Yes, I do think I can dance. As proven above.

Hurry up May 26th!

Mary, you do realize that I come home to complaining that you are so much better than I am. Love you!

April says:

you are awesome! That is so neat that you do that. I tried jazzercise one time….for a few days. Let’s just say that is now worse than a 4 letter word in my house. You know when they had the TLC show about getting yoru dream job? Like for a week you could try it…..well dancing like that woudl be mine. Except that I have about three left feet. But in my mind, when I hear music, I am in perfect sync! So you go!!!!

denise says:

love it! i got back into dancing (contemporary/modern style) a couple of years ago after being away for 20+ years — it feels great — my spirit sings!

Jamie says:

Go ‘head girl, go ‘head get down…so very fun. I’m doing Zumba these days which does scratch my dancing itch. When I took a hip hop class a couple of years ago, it was such a blast…we messed up a lot because we were laughing so hard, but the instructor was pretty patient with the gaggle of suburban white ladies she had to deal with, so we actually learned some awesome moves. Keep on dancing!

Christina says:

Look at you two!!!

I need to get my booty back to class. I miss it SO much.

Watch out!! You 2 are excellent dancers! Can’t wait to hit the dance floor at BlogHer parties with your ass!

beckie webster says:

Must be in the water, I’m back reliving my disco days, even taught a class last weekend. Can’t believe I stopped for 30 years. Totally OFF Idol.

Jessica says:

Dance on Mamas!

Jess says:

Okay seriously. I need to get my ass out there because that number is so spicy…I’d love to meet Darnay too. Whoop! There is some planning that needs to be done. Stat.

Laura F says:

Ok, now I’m really NOT going to join this dance class. That looks really hard! Mary, me dancing next to you would be like you slicing and dicing in my kitchen next to me! No competition! I’ll just stick with my regular gym routine!

Laura F says:

Oh, and that Kelly Rowland video is DIRTY!! (in a good way)

Christina says:

Mary,
    I think your moves are awesome girl!! Good for you for getting back into the studio. I feel that way about tennis. I keep wanting to relive my youth and pick up my racket. We’ll see how it goes.

Thank you! And yes, pick up that racket. It felt so good to get back to my roots. I’m sure it will for you too.

[…] I do and not as I say has been a big catalyst for my recent venture to the running courses and the dance studio. I recently decided, even before taking the Dannon pledge for a healthy lifestyle, that I wanted to […]

[…] HANDS: The Carlsbad Performing Arts Academy, the dance studio where my kids and I take classes (yes I take Hip Hop; I’m fly like a white gurl) is offering a summer theatrical camp called the Broadway Bound […]