call me old-fashioned, i don’t like google +

When I first heard of Google +, I rolled my eyes like a teenager and told myself that it wasn’t going to catch on so I didn’t need to pay attention.

Then I began seeing tweets like this:

So I caved to my curiosity, and more importantly, my need to be in the know, and I signed up.

Immediately I was bugged. My eyes didn’t know where to look and my inbox began to overflow with “so-and-so has added you to their circles.” My mile long To Do list began to grow exponentially and I became annoyed.

When am I ever going to find time to learn this?

I barely have time to manage everything else in my life, including my Facebook and Twitter addictions, but at least I have those down to a science so I can work them in my sleep if I need to. Google +? I don’t know it, I don’t have time to learn it, and I’m annoyed that it even exists because I feel pressure to know it. I don’t have time to sift through emails telling me who has added me, even if one is from from Johnny Depp.

Also? I don’t have time to create and place people in circles. I know the whole “circle” thing is the big draw for Google +, but to me, it just adds another thing I have to think about.

It was vain and inconsiderate of the Google techies to venture into this realm and try to reinvent the wheel, like they could make a better platform, just because they rule the world. I’m ticked off that they stepped in and are now bumping fun sites like Pinterest and Spotify to the bottom of my learning curve list because I feel the need to understand how it works if I want to keep up in this ever changing world of Social Media.

And now, I’m sounding like an archaic, old-fashioned geezer who doesn’t like the way the young kids are behaving; go ahead, call me grandma.

Now if you excuse me, I have eighteen games of Words With Friends waiting for me on my phone. Google + will just have to wait.

Christina says:

Yeah. I feel ya….

Kristin says:

“the chattiest place on the Internet”? Really? I must not have enough friends, because it’s pretty dead still from what I’ve seen. And I’m not feeling the love.

I feel the same way. Google + is not something that I am interested in.

But I reserve the right to change my mind. I am a woman after all.

Laura Frontiero says:

I am the first to stand up and say ‘no!’ to more social media because I already struggle to find time for email, facebook, texting and old fashioned phone calls. I would really love to snuggle up with a book and ignore the world instead. But here is the thing I heard on NPR today: Google+ is supposed to have a MUCH stronger level of security. Apparently facebook sucks at security…..more to come on that subject for sure!

And not to go too far off topic, but what’s up with the +K thing I see on Twitter … guess I’m a geezer too…excuse me while I go answer my rotary dial phone.

I feel the same way. I am not a natural social media guru, so twitter and facebook are already overwhelming to me. Circles and Klout will have to wait until some social network emerges supreme and then I will jump on board.

MomZombie says:

I had two invitations to Google + when I was on vacation — in a place with little or not Internet or phone service. After detoxing myself from the Internet, I really had a hard time rejoining things. I felt overwhelmed and lost. I still do. I guess I’m getting to be a fuddy-duddy in this arena, because I’m craving more IRL experiences and less virtual circles and connections and whatever else is swirling about.

I have to agree. I thought it was cool (because it was new), but really…like I have enough time to keep up on there too! I personally don’t like that anyone can follow you. It makes it less personal. I still like FB & Twitter better ;)

I cannot fit more into this already withering brain.
    My head nearly exploded just with you mentioning Spotify and Pinterest in addition to Google+. All this is making me feel like I make it halfway up a hill then slide back down again and have to start over. #Sisyphus

Crystal says:

Dude…totally. I signed up – I have Circles – but I do not have time to figure this thing out. Plus I really like my “Like” button – not this +1 business. :P