jillian michaels and my junior bingo wings

I have a vivid memory of sitting on my mom’s lap as petulant eight year old, and jumping up in surprise as she slapped my hand away from her upper arm. What I thought was a funny, amusing game of play “swing mom’s underarm flab skin” was neither funny nor amusing to my mom.

Now as a mom myself, that memory is no longer amusing nor funny to me either. Why? Because I’m developing the same underarm “issue” that I so flippantly wiggled ‘til’ I giggled about as a little girl.

FYI, those underarms with an “issue,” they have a name, according to the urbandictionary.com. They are called Bingo Wings.

Please see Exhibit A:

At the beginning of this year, my little Lil, the innocent 4.5 year old that she was at the time, began gingerly jiggling my early developing Bingo Wing. I flashbacked to that childhood memory I described above and not ten minutes later was in the car, driving to Target to buy every workout item with a special red price tag next to it.I came home with The Jillian Michael’s 30-Day Shred DVD and promptly held a private Biggest Loser episode in my own home, with soup cans as weights. True story.

With the help of my dance class, training for the half-marathon, and the kick-ass Jillian Michael’s DVD, I am having a little luck in toning my junior bingo wings, but they sure are pesky little buggers.

Exhibit B:

I clearly need to step up my workouts with Jillian, move from soup cans to actual weights, and do it more often than once a week (according to the DVD, I’m supposed to do it every day for 30 days. Hmm .  . .).

The point of this post is, not only to shame myself into working out more by sharing my B-Dubs with all of you, but also to share that in two weeks, I am going to be meeting and working out with the queen of bingo-wing-ridding, Ms. Jillian Michaels at an event that I am still pinching myself to believe I was invited to. It’s a special event weekend at the La Costa Resort to show off their recent renovations and promote their new motto of Mind, Body and Sport. Jillian Michaels is one of three celebrity guests coming to speak on fitness/health and then give a boot camp.

Ms. Michael’s intimidates the heck out of me, so, for the next two weeks, my bingo wings and I will be working out like crazy in order to get in shape for this event. I’m doing push-ups while typing this, in fact. One-handed. Or should I say, one-winged?

SurferWife says:

WOMAN. Where were you this morning? Do you know the first thing to change on my body since doing TDM are my arms?

I was working on this post instead of working on my bingo wings! Darn! My next post on my B-Dubs is going to be about how awesome TDM is, after I get my arse to a class! (Actually, I’m still dealing with head cold/allergies/sinus infection, whatver the heck I have, so next week fo sure!) : )

My arms are probably my biggest concern at the moment. I hate looking at them in the mirror when we’re at hip hop.

Between Jillian at La Costa, Darnay and TDM we’re gonna get them to where we want them! I’m on a mission! ; )

HipMamaB says:

I’m totally doing The Dailey Method to prep for JM. :)

Stefanie says:

I have the same issue and am desperately trying to fix it before being slaughtered by, I mean working out with, Jillian. Bawk, bawk, bawk.

Charlotte says:

TDM? What is this? I have Senior, Corporal, Major bingo wings!

TDM is The Daily Method which is a workout involving a bar (not like a pole, so they tell me). Kinda like ballet meets pilates or something like that. A bunch of the local gals go and I just won a membership for a month so I gotta go!

Charlotte says:

ps. Good job so far & *squee* at you getting invited to such an awesome event. :)

Oh girl. I know. I saw my bingo wings in December, along with @Annieology – and we decided to do something about it. Annie had the idea to start with 1 pushup on 1/1/11, and I did 2 on 1/2/11. We alternate days, and plan on coming together for 365 pushups on 12/31/2011. We unexpectedly hit a wall at around day 200, and have been doing our pushups 2-3 times per week instead of every other day. But the bingo wings? They’re leaving :)

Jessica says:

I was completely motivated to do px90 this fall and get rid of my bingo wings and hopefully perk up what is turning into a pancake butt but then I realized you have to do it every day and I think I survived until px4. Maybe when I’m 80 I will have time to work out. After bingo, of course.

Wanna know my medicine for my bingo wings? While brushing the pearly whites with an electric tooth brush, I have a ten pound weight in one hand. Uppers for some curls, then switch to the lowers for the other hand. Twice a day baby, mullti-tasking at its best.

My husband and his brothers call them “plubs.” None of the women in the family think it’s funny at all, as I’m sure you can imagine.

omg. I’m totally giggling. “Bingo wings?” The eff? Who would name them that?? A man?

Anyway, we can cry thru Jillian together. xo

Leave it to urban dictionary to come up with that name! At first I thought they were called bat wings, but that is something ENTIRELY different! : ) Can’t wait to see you at La Costa! xo

Megan says:

You know that scene in The Sweetest Thing where Christina Applegate is flailing hers around? Well, if she can do it in a movie, I can have them in real life.
    Not really, I miss my athletic body.

ok, you lost me way at the beginning there … seriously, doing this stuff makes you sweat.
    SO not sweating for anything … ask my husband ;)

Galit Breen says:

OMG Mary, you slay me.

Bingo wings? Really??

Eva Smith says:

I have a whole new thought when I say the word Bingo now. Congrats on conquering this small obstacle and huge congrats on your opportunity. She is going to work your buns off. I’ve been dealing with the wing the wrong way, time to hit the dumbells. Thanks for the encouragement.

I am impressed by your willingness to buy any DVD with the word “Shred” in the title.

As far as I’m concerned, that makes you a winner already.

And we can ALWAYS wear long sleeves.

Oh yes. We can.

[…] Three terms you will love to hate: 1) seat work 2) microbend and 3) hi or low C curve. All three of those terms are movements or poses in the class that you will get to know well. They are brutal but they work those trouble spots, like the baby pooch and the bingo wings! […]