how my 3 year old’s dream board landed us at the four seasons beverly hills

Last week my three year old asked my husband, “What’s that?” about one of our many dream boards we have around the house.

“It’s a dream board.” He went on to explain how to make them and what they signify.

“Can I make one?” she asked.

And with that, our first Family Dream Board Night was born.

A few days later I gathered a variety of magazines, collected our kids scissors from around the house, bought some foam core and we were ready to dream. I scattered the mags around the living room floor and we went to town.

Making a vision boardOnce the boards were all assembled, we took turns talking about the various images and explaining why we picked each one. Lily picked a picture of Dora on a bicicleta since she wants to learn how to ride a bike without training wheels and Lexi’s picked Dora on a barco because she apparently wants to learn how to ride a boat.

Lexi also picked a few other images that payed off for the whole family, in the form of a mini-vacation at the Four Seasons Beverly Hills, exactly one week later.

This past Saturday morning, as a I nursed a hangover from my mom’s incredible 80th birthday party, I got an early morning call from Rachael of TodaysMama.com to see if I could take her place at The Lorax press junket, that same day, in LA. My dehydrated, pounding head did not quite process her request until she said Four Seasons, Ed Helms and Betty White. “Okay, I’m there.”

A few hours later, the four of us were headed north for an L.A. Adventure (la aventura),

Dream Board Adventure

La Aventura becomes L.A. Adventure

to jump on comfy beds at The Four Seasons Beverly Hills,

Dream Board dreams coming true

Can't get softer than the beds at a Four Seasons

and to see The Lorax.

The Movie The Lorax

I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees

It was an amazing weekend that I owe all to my 3 year old’s dream board!

Dr. Seuss' The Lorax Press Junket

My review of the film and recap of the interviews with the director, producer, writers and entire cast will be up on TodaysMama the last week of February.

In the meantime, consider making a dream board as you never know the places you’ll go.

Janae says:

I love this! I love that you are sharing dream boards with your children and even more that they are happening! Love, love love. Shows children just how magical life is :)

Theresa says:

Love this!!! I can’t wait to hear all about it!

Dan says:

I love this post! Yay for dream boarders! :)

Sarah Maizes says:

I have been wanting to make a dream board for SOOOO long! This might be just the inspiration I need to start! Yay for you guys!

Danielle says:

How amazing is that!? I love how this turned out. Can’t wait to read how much your kids liked the movie.

Chelsea says:

I’m officially starting a dream board :) XOXO

Dr. G says:

OK, I must have been living under a rock (I have heard of the lorax, so not that big a rock!) cause I’ve never heard of dream boards. But I get it, and this just might be a way to get my four boys to be willing to do anything remotely crafty! Thanks for the inspiration, and I love reading about fun family travel!

What a great story! You and your readers may enjoy seeing a free chapter of THE VISION BOARD book bestsellier that has now sold 75,000 plus copies. Chapter 5 is on families and relationships and Mommy & Me board examples :) thanks for hsaring. http://tinyurl.com/seeinsidebook

Dariela says:

What a great story! I need to make one and then do one withe the family!!

LCostino says:

Enjoyed your story! Very inspirational. Thanks for shaing.

This is one of those bloggers that makes you think: I’d really like her! She’s funny and interesting and has a good sense of humor.

Charlotte says:

wait. I’m confused. How’s your 3yo’s dreamboard related to getting asked to take TodaysMama’s place at the Four Seasons? And MAN am I jealous you got to meet Betty White. :)

Laura F says:

I was wondering why the heck you ended up in LA right after your mom’s birthday!! I need a dream board with images of photo facials cause they’re expensive & I REALLY want a series of them (before my 40th).