Summer is in full-swing which means that, if you’re like me, you are in desperate need of things to do with your kids. Here is a list of:
Inexpensive Things to Do With Your Kids This Summer:
1) Set up your house like preschool/kindergarten with various stations, like sensory tables, craft areas, and music stations. I found a great list of 107 items to put into your sensory table.
If you’re not crafty or organized enough to do the above, there are pre-packaged kits like “Kiwi Crate” that comes to your doorstep with all the activities inside it already. You pay $19.95 a month and each month a new activity kit arrives with new, creative crafts. I received one the other day and will be doing a full review later this week.
2) Do a Children’s Spa Day with dollar aisle stuff from Target for mani/pedi’s and make homemade mud masks. Check out this recipe from Livestrong.com for a mud mask made of avocado, yogurt, and banana.
3) Send them on a scavenger hunt around the house, a park, or a mall. For older kids, invite their friends to play along and make it a competition, like Amazing Race, to really up the ante.
4) Go to the library. Carlsbad Library and a few others have awesome reading programs that encourage kids to read & practice book reporting skills – FOR FREE! When we signed up at the Dove library, the kids each got a book to keep, a free kids meal voucher for Benihana and a free pass to LEGOLAND California. Check your local library to see if they have a program like this one, and if not, you can make-up one of your own.
5) Go for a picnic – We are lucky here in San Diego to have endless possibilities for places to picnic. Here are some of my faves:
- Seaport Village: This little gem is not just for tourists. There are tons of fun things to do in addition to having a picnic like, including riding bikes or scooters on the board walk, shopping in the fun shops, and riding the carousel. And don’t forget about Ben & Jerry’s ice cream. I have a gift basket of goodies from Seaport Village to give away (see details below).
- Padres Park in the Park – This is a blast, especially for the day games. Bring your own food and the tickets are only $5.00.
- La Jolla – Picnic anywhere on the grassy areas along Coast Blvd, then walk along Coast Blvd. to see the Children’s Pool and the seals, window shop at all the shi shi shops, and then get one of the newest, hottest items, a gourmet ice cream bar from Bardot.
To see my segment on Fox 5 news on this subject, check out the Morning News tab on the Fox 5 site.
To be entered to win the Seaport Village gift basket, just leave a comment telling me one fun thing you’ve been up to this summer. Comments will be closed on Wednesday, June 27th at 11:59pm PST.
Here are the contents of the gift basket:
Product: Blood Orange Olive Oil & Tangerine Balsamic Vinegar Store: Seaport Oil & Vinegars (they have over 40 oil & vinegars on tap daily for your tasting pleasure)
Product: Tote, “Ruby Slipper” nail polish, Frisbee Store: Del Sol (everything changes color in the sun. tote, logo turns rainbow, nail polish turns red, and frisbee turns blue)
Product: Life is Good t-shirt, fashion scarf Store: Seaport Island Fashion (newest addition to Seaport Village)
Product: Watermelon licorice, salt water taffy Store: Candy Shack & Yogurt
Product: Large Easy Flyer Kite Store: Kite Flite
Product: Chargers hat, Padres socks (youth & adult) Store: Sports Headquarters
Product: Lavender, Chamomile & Sage Relaxing Foaming Bubble Bath Store: Presenting the Soap Opera
Product: 4 free ice cream cone coupons Store: Ben & Jerry’s
Product: $25 Seaport Village Gift Certificate (valid at all stores & restaurants), VIP Shopping Pass, 4 meal vouchers. Store: compliments of Seaport Village