My weekly segment on Fox 5 news on “Summer Activities with the Kids” continued Monday, featuring unique summer camps and day trips. Here is the first part of the segment and below are details and links to all of the places I described.
UNIQUE SUMMER CAMPS:
For the Science
For the GLEEKs in training:
For the Ballers:
- Lorenzo Neal Football Camp
- LaDainian Tomlinson Prepartory Academy (For footballers grades 6-11).
- Little Rascalz Soccer –Several locations all over San Diego. I love these guys!
For the Active Lifestyle Family:
- Rancho La Puerta – In August, Rancho La Puerta, located in Baja California, is having special family weeks in August that will accommodate children seven years of age and older. You and your kids can experience everything from harvesting crops to jewelry making to yoga. Suzette of Mamarazzi Knows Best, just took a trip down to the resort and wrote about it here.
DAY TRIPS OUT OF SAN DIEGO:
- Catalina I love Catalina! For a quick day trip, drive up to Dana Point and then take the Ferry over (or you can also take a helicopter- fun!). There are so many things to do there including:
- Zip line (new attraction in Catalina)
- Relax at Descanso Beach
- Rent Golf Carts to see the island.
- Take the Glass Bottom Boat to see the underwater sea life
- Go miniature golfing
- Enjoy lunch at the Wrigley Mansion
- Rent Paddle Boats to work out those quad muscles
- Gorge on a Buffalo Burger at Erik’s on the Pier or an amazing pizza at Antonio’s.
- Take the Amtrak trainup to San Juan Capistrano to do lunch, shopping and go to the Zoomars petting zoo.
Read fellow blogger, Tonya’s account of her day trip to SJC. You can also walk to the Mission and have a mini history lesson or have lunch at The Depot.
- Drive to Hollywood to see the new Cirque Du Soleil Show called IRIS: A Journey Through the World of Cinema at the Dolby Theatre(old Kodak Theatre where the Oscars are held).
Not only are all cirque shows pretty darn amazing, but this show is scored by Danny Elman of Oingo Boingo fame, so the music is as stunning as the performance.
For a limited time only, purchase a 4-pack of category 2 tickets for as low as $199! Check the IRIS website for details on the family discount.
- Rancho Bernardo Inn – Kids Rule, Parents Drool summer special. I love this little oasis, tucked in the heart of Rancho Bernardo. I visited the Spa last year and loved it. Now, with this kids program, running through September 3rd, it seems like a perfect staycation. Activities include pool games, Wii games, scavenger hunts, and a “dive-in” movie by the pool. For a list of the All-INNclusive activities check out the RBI site. Reservations for RBI can be made by calling 877.517.9340 or by clicking here.
- Water Parks - With a major heat wave coming our way, it’s not a bad idea to hop in the car and head to one of the many water parks in Southern California. Check out this review of the water parks in our region on the Huffington Post, including Raging Waters, Wild Rivers, and the LEGOLAND California Water Park.