How is it that summer is drawing to a close? Between the P&G “Thank You, Mom” Olympics commercials and my older daughter starting Kindergarten in two weeks, I’m a sappy mess. I’m also realizing that I have to get my booty back into school mode.
You can watch this Fox 5 Segment for some suggestions for back-to-school apps, websites and products, or read below. Also, see below for info on a Kajeet smart phone for kids giveaway.
FIVE BACK-TO-SCHOOL MUST-HAVES
1) Cool Pencil Cases – What kid doesn’t love fresh, new school supplies, especially a pack of newly sharpened pencils and a pencil case. Well thanks to the creative folks at CoolPencilCase.com the days of the boring pencil case are over. Check out their wide selection of trendy, decorative cases:
These cases range from $10-$20.00 and can be found online only at coolpencilcase.com.
2) Funky Lunch Boxes – I’m in love with these LOVE lunch boxes that I found on TenFingers4Paws.com. They have FDA approved food safe lining along with an inside mesh ice pack holder and keep foods hot or cold. Also, they can go in the top rack of the dishwasher. Hello!
3) Knotieties– Finally, we have a 21st century answer to the hair scrunchie! Any mom of girls, actually, any mom who throws her hair in a ponytail everyday like I do, will know how important it is to have hair ties around the house, especially ones that don’t hurt to pull out and don’t break the hair.
These trendy, colorful hair ties, created by one of “our” former Miss California’s, are a must! You can wear them in your hair or on your wrist.
4) Kajeet Kids Smart Phones – The age that kids are getting their own personal cell phones is getting frighteningly younger and younger every year. It won’t be long before my daughters are wanting/expecting/”needing” to have a phone of their own. I just discovered a smart phone provider especially dedicated to kids and education, called Kajeet. They specialize in parental controls for phones that allow your kids to explore technology but with safety and restrictions front of mind.
- EXCLUSIVE: Equipped with kajeet Smart BlockerTM technology that allows you to determine what types of websites can be accessed and which should be blocked
- Three Mobile Web Add-ons to choose from (select one when you activate your phone)
- Android Operating System v2.1
- Touch screen with crisp display
- 3.2MP camera for pictures and video
- Music and video player
- Virtual keypad
- Access to Android Apps Market
- microSD card slot
- Speakerphone and Bluetooth®
- One-touch access to apps like Google Maps, Facebook and Pandora
Now get this: I have a Kajeet phone in purple to give away. See below for details!
5) A Tradition: I’m a sucker for traditions so I love coming up with the idea of a first-day-of-school tradition. Here are a few that I found while searching Pinterest.
- First-Day-of-School Fairy – Since the Binky Fairy was such a hit in our family, as will be the Tooth Fairy when she comes, I love this idea. Get some fun, inexpensive back-to-school items, stick ‘em in a bag with a note and have them waiting for you kiddo(s) at the breakfast table (or doorbell ditch them like TipJunkjie suggests).
- First-Day-of-School photo montage – I saw this on Pinterst with a couple that took photos of themselves every year holding a frame of the photo from the previous year. Click through to my Pinterest board to see what I mean. You can also do this with your kiddo holding up the a number symbolizing their grade and keep going through the years.
- A Gift For the Teacher – It’s never too early to become teacher’s pet so schmoozing the teacher on the first day of school can never hurt. Something small like a “Survival Kit” (with school supplies and a Starbucks or Target card) or something massively creative like this crayon wreathare two fun ideas.
To commemorate your summer, be sure to put together a photo album, or better yet, try one of their new videograms. Both are are easy to put together and the photo albums are on special at LivingSocial.com right now for only $14.00.
To enter the giveaway for the Kajeet Smart Phone for Kids, just leave a comment telling me your back-to-school tradition. Giveaway entries will close on Wednesday, August 15th at 11:59 PM PST and winner will be announced on Thursday, August 16th.