help! my kids want a cat for christmas!

I really should not be posting this video if I ever want to make something of my currently-non-existent-but-possible-future friendship with Ellen Degeneres, because well, I don’t think she would befriend me if she heard what I’m about to admit to the myriad people (like four) who will view it. Also, I might be losing lots of friends, viewers and followers with this too. But, I am in deep doo-doo and need some advice so the truth has to come out. Please don’t throw things at me. My kid already threw tomatoes at me during the making of this video.

Giving a cat for a Christmas present

Image courtesy of ImageryMajestic /FreeDigitalPhotos.net

Natalie C. says:

Are you allergic? I think you’re allergic. *achoo*

Coming from someone who is currently living with in-laws who have cats and IS, in fact, ALLERGIC- do NOT get a cat if you don’t want one. You live in your house too. And let’s be honest- you’ll be the one taking care of her. Find a friend or two who have cats and let your kids play with them. A lot. Maybe they’ll break out in hives and then? Situation solved.

I sooooo can relate. I love your videos and your completely hilarious honesty. I recently had a similar problem w/cats and kids: http://www.jumpingwithmyfingerscrossed.com/2012/09/furry-sockscats-suck.html

Yeah, you be getting a cat my dear. ;-)

Chandra says:

Mike is allergic to animal dander, but with dogs we can keep them off furniture bed, etc. But this summer he was wanting another dog so bad that he made the comment to O that maybe he could get used to a cat. Now I’m a cat person and have shelved my ever having one in my life again, but now every time we hit PetSmart “but daddy said!” UGH. When that hit the top of the list on what the kids wanted to get their dad for his 40th it took all my being not to say SURE! Maybe you could convince them fish are fun? I’ve never had fish…or you could make a deal that they do the poop …ya that never works out. That was part of my giving in on the new dog – but at least they do it some of the time :)

SurferWife says:

oh yeah. I’m NEVER talking to you again.

Stefanie says:

I was flat out thinking you were stupid. Geico/Gekko will.i.am/william. Then? Flo Rida. It’s Florida???

Ciaran says:

You need some super amazing special cat like mine who has her own fan club and poop that doesn’t stink…
    Oh wait. It probably stinks. But I waited till my girls were old enough to deal with that litter bit, I just remind them daily and threaten to evict the cat if they don’t. It’s amazing how much more lovable any cat is when you never have to deal with the litter box. I imagine it’s like grandparenting. But all that said, I have the most freaking adorable cat on the planet and serves me right because I thought I was safe when I told the girls I’d get a cat when a white persian with one blue eye and one green showed up in a shelter and damn her if she didn’t magically appear the next day!

benjie says:

We just got a kitten. I think she is feralish. Perhaps try a fish, a hamster or something small and can be contained and has a shorter lifespan. Name said animal Kitty. Don’t get a cat. Fez will be 18 years old this year. It’s a long road, and I love them and am so glad to have them but they aren’t for everyone.

Jendi says:

We have 6 pets right now, but we have no cats and do not want any cats. See, what happened is that one of the kids talked about a cat and we diverted them with a different pet over and over until we have 6…. ;)

Ali says:

As a cat lover who suffers from allergies and asthma, I would suggest you make certain none of your littles are allergic before you make a decision. It may turn out to be a bad idea, regardless of your personal feelings on the issue.
    I have a Rex, and never had any reactions to her…BUT Hubby brought home a furry kitty for the kids, and I”ve had an increase in my allergies and the severity of my asthma for the last 2 years. Still, the kitty stays…shedding on every surface, including my bed. Now, my SugarPlum is having allergic reactions and asthma that I feel are a direct result of the kitty. My gut says get rid of the cat…Hubby does not agree at all…and of course, the kids are attached to the fireball, and will be devestated if we have to get rid of their Baby Kitty.
    I’m becoming better friends with the Rock and the Hard Place than I care to.

Ali says:

*fireball was supposed to be FURBALL! Darn autocorrect!

Laura says:

I love cats. I don’t like dogs. (Don’t hate them just don’t prefer to own the leg humping beasts) And, right now I don’t own either. I’m with you on cleaning poop. Gak! No, not what I want to do in what little spare time I have.
    Dont get it. I know Santa never brought me everything on my wish list. ‘Honey, Santa’s toy shop makes toys, not animals’
    Also, yeah I’m not into the frilly cute gag me animal commercials. You need to be in marketing, but I think if there were a commercial with JT in a speedo rapping that company’s sales would skyrocket.

Laura F says:

Mary, I have had my cat for 17 years. I said 17 years. Cats live for freaking ever. I think my cat has dementia and she’s making me insane. I am sick of hairballs and litter and poop and cat hair all over everything and meowing in the middle of the night waking me up. At this rate she could live another 5 years or more. Lord help me.

I think I’ve seen your cat like 2 times since I’ve known you. Where does she hide out? Or am I just that oblivious>?

Leah says:

Get a dog instead!

Theresa says:

Oh dear god! Just say no!

Stephanie B. says:

Ummmmm, actually love you and your show more now. If Ellen doesn’t call she carazy. I can’t stand cats. They know it. They seek me out and always want my lap. Ick. Not afraid to admit, they smell bad and have major attitude. I think I might have been one in my last life or something. Dunno. But I also made the gecko/Geico connection very recently, like a year or so ago. Funny because our mutual Parkerite friend Jenni K. has worked there for like a decade! BTW do you film your vlog with camera or computer? If so which? Blessings.

Glad you like the vid and that you agree with me on the cat front. I film my vlogs directly onto my MacBook Pro and edit in iMovie. xoxo