Halloween is only four and a half weeks away.
Say what? I know, crazy right?
In fact, we are going to our first Halloween themed event next weekend at Knott’s Camp Spooky and need the kids in full costume, so I have been a mad fiend getting something ready for them. Lily, the older one, has chosen something fairly easy, a “rock star,” which will be made up pretty much of things we have around the house. I’ll post pics of this later, but this is one of those win-win costumes because I don’t have to spend a ton of time or money or energy on it, and she loves it and is comfortable in it. Boom!
My younger one, however, decided to pick something that necessitated some creativity and craftiness on my part: Vanellope Von Schweetz from Wreck-it-Ralph. Dude! As compared to certain costumes made by my seamstress wonder-friends, like Tonya and Rory, this was nothing, but for me, it was HUGE!
Video DIY tutorials on Vanellope’s hair, sweatshirt, tights and over-sized lollipop will be going up on the blog in the next two days so check back soon! I actually made them all myself! Also, I just shot my craftiness wad until 2015.
For kids there are always a ton of options and especially this past year when there were so many great animated films like Wreck it Ralph, Despicable Me 2, Planes and Monsters Inc 2. But, for adults, it’s not always easy to come up with unique fun characters, however this year, there is a lot of fun to be had. For my own costume, I am going to be boring, because I don’t have time, money or energy to do very much this year, so I’m wearing a bow tie, a fedora, my JT tank top from the concert and my VIP badge from his concert and going as a Justin Timberlake fan. But here are some other clever costume ideas I came up with for adult males. I am trying to convince my husband to be one of these:
1) Carlos Danger. I’m not sure how’d you’d dress up for this. Maybe a suit and tie (cue Justin and Jay Z’s song) and a creepy black mustache. Or maybe you wouldn’t need anything. You would just need to be naked taking pictures on your iPhone of your junk. Sounds pretty easy and cost effective.
2) El Macho from Despicable Me 2 – This costume would take some effort, but he’s got to be one of the best villains
3) A Fox – I just saw the “What Does Fox Say” video for the first time last week and my mind was blown. All you need for this costume is a fox head and a sense of humor. Please watch this video, it’s just too good.
4) Macklemore from the Thrift Shop video – All you need is a big fur coat and black pants. And a slurpee. Easy!
5) Grug Crood – Who doesn’t wish to be a caveman, just for one day, and drag their bitches around by the hair. You just need a caveman suit for this which can’t be too hard to find.
Another idea is Captain Underpants from the acclaimed kids’ book series. My kids are BEGGING my husband to be Captain Underpants for Halloween this year. Just need to find a bald-cap, a red cape and a belly and he’s in business.
So what are you and your kids going to be? Are you someone who plans way in advance or do you make it up in the day or two before?