Hey Moms, wanna get in shape, meet new moms, and/or save lives? If so, then I have an awesome solution for you. Think Stroller Strides meets Team in Training, where you meet 1-2 times per week, with or without your kid(s), for 1-3 mile runs, with assistance from an experienced training staff and an end goal in site, all the while raising money for a good cause.
I know, too good to be true, right?
Here’s the dealio: Team in Training (TNT), the fundraising arm of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS), has developed a new branch of their training models to fit the needs of new moms, called Moms in Training (MIT).
Beginning on February 1st, moms from around San Diego county will gather at a said location once or twice a week (it’s up to you to do one or both), through the end of March, to train for the Carlsbad 5000 (a 5K run/walk). The sessions will be held at the following locations:
- Tuesday mornings at 9:00am at Lake Miramar
- Saturday mornings at 8:00am Fletcher Cove in Solana Beach
Here are the reasons why the MIT program is so awesome:
– You’ll have support from an experienced coach who will help you with any questions you may have about form, nutrition, injuries and running gear.
– You get to meet & socialize with other moms.
– You can bring your kid(s) in a stroller (as long as they’ll stay in the stroller – iPads & Kindles work wonders for that—don’t shoot me for suggesting that, it’s true).
– You get to help save lives by raising $500 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
– You’ll start every morning run with a “Mission Moment” where a fellow runner tells a story about their connection to the cause, and your workout suddenly becomes about something way bigger and better than yourself and your skinny jeans.
– You’ll have a goal to work towards, the Carlsbad 5000, on March 30th, and you’ll get to cross the finish line feeling a sense of accomplishment like you’ve never felt before (if you’ve never done a race before).
Check out this 4 minute video on Moms in Training from the New York City LLS Chapter to get inspired for the San Diego version of this awesome program!
I have participated in two half-marathons, both with Team in Training, and both experiences were powerful and significant in my life on many levels. I would say the only draw back was that there were days that I had to skip sessions since I wasn’t allowed to bring my kids, but NOW, with Moms in Training, kids in strollers are welcome and encouraged, and the fundraising goal is not as overwhelming as it is for the longer races.
The first meeting of MIT will be this Saturday, February 1st at 10:00am at My Kids Clubhouse in Poway (12636 Poway Road Suite 4Poway, CA 92064–In the LA Fitness Shopping Center just east of Pomerado Road). This meeting will be more like an expo and informational session, so if you can’t make it, then you can attend the following Saturday, the 8th.
To sign up, go to The Leukemia & Lymphoma website. You won’t regret it, I promise!