do you kiss your kids on the lips?

is it okay to kiss your kids on the lips?

Do you remember the overly affectionate Vogelcheck family of Saturday Night Live fame?

Do you kiss your kids on the lips like the Vogelchecks?

Okay, so, the Vogelchecks take kissing just a wee bit too far for the sake of hilarity (and if you haven’t watched one of their skits, Google it now), but I’m definitely a fan of lip kissing my kids and was surprised to find out that not all moms feel the same way.

The other day, when dropping my 5 year old off at Kindergarten, I gave her a quick, loving smooch on the lips. In mid-kiss, we heard next to us, “Ewwwwwww,”

I looked up to find one of her classmates, another 5 year old, giving us stink eye. I looked back, quizzically, to see if her utterances of disapproval were really referring to my kissing my daughter goodbye.

“Ewwwww!” she uttered again.

“What?” I replied, probably more defensively than I should have being the adult in the situation. “I was just giving her a kiss goodbye. Do you not kiss your mom on the lips?” I asked curiously.

And she came back with, “NO! I do not kiss my mom like THAT.”

Hmmph.

Lexi and I looked at each other, laughed, and gave each other one more big smackaroo on the lips, while the other little girl rolled her eyes and walked away.

This interchange has stayed with me since that day and though I stay firm in my belief that kisses on the lips are what make the world go around, I wonder if I’m the odd one out. I kissed my parents on the lips as a child AND as an adult; I also kissed, and currently kiss, friends, other family members, and even some special people in my life like my senior year English teacher who was invited to my wedding and I would kiss any day of the week because she listened to me bitch about boys in high school AND she got me to love reading), and I turned out somewhat fine.

Now, every time Lexi and I bring it in for a big smackaroo, we say “give me a Z kiss,” named after the little girl who didn’t approve, and I plant one on her like we’re Bogie and Bacall.

So, what about you? Do you kiss your kids on the lips? Do I need to be worried about this family habit of ours (as long as it doesn’t turn Vogelcheck-ish)?

Samantha Hackett says:

I’m right with you. I believe in lip kisses with my kids and family. My Mom raised us that way too. I kiss my Mom and Dad and both brothers on the lips too (not Vogelcheck style though!). My daughter and I often hold a lip kiss for a good 30 seconds. It cracks her up. I wouldn’t have it any other way. Keep on kissing!!!

Carolyn West says:

I so love that you blogged about this. I totally kiss my kids on the lips, but they are VERY particular about who they let near their lips. It’s basically me and their Dad and nobody else. Their Aunt always tries to kiss them on the lips and they get completely grossed out by it.

Danielle says:

We totally kiss on the lips. BUT my daughter has started this licking phase (gah.. don’t know where she picked it up) and when you go in for a kiss sometimes she licks you. She was giving her friend a kiss and totally slipped her the tongue. I was a bit mortified…

Maria says:

I was brought up kissing my parents on the lips, as was my husband and we continue that loving practice with our son. Keep up the big smooches! It’s good for your daughters and for you.

Ali says:

Absolutely. We give lip-kisses to our kids, and they give them to one another. I love showering mine with smooches!

danielle says:

Its weird I was not brought up this way but daddy and i have always kissed our 3 year old daughter on the lips and the shocker to some i have taken a quick shower with her…affection and nudity were taboo in my family and important conversations were avoided. its not something I consciously do but I love showing her affection and see nothing wrong with it. We however did have to explain appropriate kissing .. she caught daddy trying to sneak in a little more than a peck with mommy

Jess says:

I grew up as a lip kisser and we always lip kiss before bed or spending time apart from each other. Hell, I even lip kiss friends and colleagues in a platonic love sort of way. Unless you’re slippin’ tongue or swappin’ spit, it’s not gross. Visit any European country and they’re all about the lip on lip action for salutations…even with strangers.

Chris Nelson says:

First of all that kid that said “ew” is going to have intimacy issues. Second of, YES! I say do it until they protest (hopefully never) … I know our lip kissing wont last very much longer because of jerks like that kid who make other kids feel like its wrong. Rock on with your lip kissing!

Marina Oros says:

I used to kiss my boys on the lips. Well, my 4 year still does but my 7 year old not so much and I believe it has worn off simply because he is getting older and his noticed his classmates don’t kiss their mamas like that. I see nothing wrong with it, it’s a way of showing affection. Luckily, we have never come across anyone who was bothered by it.

Mariana salerno says:

We were never on the lip smackers in my family but I say go for it! It’s so crazy how as a society we are so immune to violence but gasp at an expression of love!

Cindy says:

We don’t kiss the kids on the lips, mainly lots of cheek kisses. There are enough colds in the schools that the 5 of us attend each day that I don’t want to risk catching anymore than I must endure. That’s the germaphobe (and the fact that I hate being sick) in me talking.

jayden says:

That is so cute the 2 little girls are kissing on the lips if I had kids they would be little girls like them I would let them kiss on the lips all the time.

Daniel says:

Me and my 12 year old sister kiss on the lips all the time we even kiss with our tongues too and we also take a shower together too I also put !my private part inside my sisters butt all the time when we take a shower together we love to kiss on the lips O and I’m 12 also…

Kiss them long and hard.

Harold Levingston says:

It depends on how one handles it. Do you practice self-control and self discipline, or do you need to be restrained sometimes? It depends on 2 or more parties in this case.

Mars says:

Lexi and Lily told me that they really liked practicing kissing together and sometimes they practice at night. Once, Lily said Lexi came over to her room and they practiced hugging and kissing naked. They said that they both liked it and try whenever they’re alone. Is that a healthy form of bonding you approve of? Do you know if they do it often?

• Nonyabidness says:

I heard they kiss each other on their other lips too and then kiss using those other lips against each other. Not healthy at all it seems.

wain says:

i live kissing my little girl on the lip she is 11i dont even care what people say it feels nice to give her love and she gives me love back we have been doing it since she was really young

Alwin says:

Yes I kiss my daughter and son on the lips (they offer them to me any chance they get) and as long as they are fine with it so am I. And you people here turning a nice innocent kiss into something nasty or sexual, shame on you.

I agree with the above statement about society being immune to violence but shocked at a display of affection.

khaled says:

I always kiss my little girl on the lips, its nothing wrong with that, shes your child, its just me and my wife kiss our daughter on the lips, shes 8 now and shes a happy and heathy girl