The Del Mar Races are a highlight of the year for San Diegans and every year they seem to keep upping the ante with more and more fun activities and events. The 77th season kicks off tomorrow, Thursday, July 17th, with a Hat Contest and big opening day party with beer gardens, food trucks, DJs and probably some of the best people watching all summer. Gates open at noon and the first post is at 2:00pm.
Sidenote: I’ve never attended opening day but it’s definitely on my bucket list!
We’re headed to the track this coming Sunday (thanks to complimentary tickets from their PR peeps) for Family Fun Day. Here are the deets on Family Fun Day:
Kids 12 and under will receive a free Webkinz Plush Horse (while supplies last). Families can also:
- Decorate their own hats with the Rad Hatter
- Meet the Del Mar Mascot, Pony Boy
- Enjoy: rock climbing walls, bungee trampolines, inflatable rides, face paining, pony rides, magic shows, baseball and golf activities and more.
These kid-friendly activities in the Infield continue every Saturday and Sunday throughout the meet.
Important dates during the season to note:
- Opening Day & Hat Contest Day (7/17)
- Donuts Day (7/19 & 8/23)
- Free Plush Horse Giveaway Day (7/20)
- Jockey Photo Day (7/20)
- Beer Fest (7/26)
- Pacific Classic (8/24)
- Weiner Dog Nationals (8/30)
And check out the awesome Summer Concert Series line-up:
- Friday, July 18 – Jurassic 5
- Friday, July 25 – The Cult
- Friday, August 1 – Special Guest TBA
- Saturday, August 2 – Weezer
- Friday, August 8 – Steel Pulse
- Saturday, August 9 – Counting Crows
- Friday, August 15 – Magic!
- Friday, August 22 – Special Guest TBA
- Friday, August 29 – Steve Aoki
- Sunday, August 31 – Reggae Festival with Ziggy Marley
And check this out . . . every Saturday & Sunday between 7:30am-9:30am early risers can enjoy “Daybreak at Del Mar” where you can workout and enjoy a hearty breakfast at the Clubhouse Terrace Restaurant. Entrance is free and parking is $10, but if you spend more than $25.00 at breakfast then you get to deduct the price of parking.
Sounds like it’s going to be another great summer at the track, because in addition to all that fun listed above, you can also BET on horsies-BOOM!
What’s your favorite thing about track season?